For the first time, IFFI 2018 will have a new sports film section as a part of Open Air Screenings that will showcase some of the recent India produced sports centric biopics.
6 films have been selected for screening at IFFI 2018 that will commence on 20th November and end on 28 November.
Some of the noteworthy films that have been selected are:
- Gold – Released in 2018 and starring Akshay Kumar in the lead, the story revolves around the post independence India’s Indian Hockey Team at the Summer Olympics 1948 as they vie for their maiden Hockey Gold Medal as an Independent India.
- Mary Kom – Released in 2014, Mary Kom is the biopic of boxer Mary Kom and chronicles her journey through hardship to become a world champion and an Olympic medalist.
- Bhaag Milkha Bhaag – Released in 2013, BMB chronicles the life of Milkha Singh also known as the Flying Sikh who faces numerous hardships to finally see his dream of breaking the world record come true.
- 1983 (Malayalam) – Released in 2014, the film chronicles the life of a father who has failed to make it big as a cricketer but struggles hard to see his son achieve his dream.
- M.S. Dhoni – The Untold Story – Released in 2016, it chronicles the life of Indian cricketer M.S. Dhoni. Need we say more?
- Soorma – Released in 2018, Soorma is a biopic based on the life of hockey player Sandeep Singh who comes back from being a paralytic disabled person to eventually a winner on the field.
With more sports related biopics in the pipeline, this section of the IFFI will definitely put India on the world map of sports and highlights some of the best sporting moments of Indian sports.