Should you promote your film on Facebook Page or Facebook Group?
As a film maker you would want to promote your film in the best of manner. Naturally you will promote it where your audience is. These days many film makers are experiencing the benefit on Facebook. The question here is since Facebook has Pages and Groups, what would make sense for your film. Should your marketing be on Facebook Page or Facebook Group.
Many a times am asked if the Business House should get onto Facebook Page or Facebook Group. Do you also face this dilemma? It is a very justified question. The reason being that after all timeand energy would be utilized in Social Media. Using a wrong platform could mean the Business House will not be able to achieve its desired objective.
There is a simple way to understand what you should do:
- You need to decide on what is it that you want to achieve.
- Also you need to have a clear idea on how Groups and Pages function. What is feasible on them and what is not feasible.
Facebook Group can be used for varied purpose. For instance:
- Family based Groups: When you put up photos and messages not all of your Facebook friends / list can be disturbed and interfered with.
- Close friends Groups: You will have your privacy and just have your gang / group of friends communicating without the world really interfering onto your team.
- Colleagues team up on a task / project: If your work environment suggests that you have a team then enable the Groups to have updates and status reports come up on the Groups wall for all to view at same time; comments will be seen and interacted / acted upon as well.
- And so on, Facebook Groups have a reason to exists.
Coming back to our question should you look at Facebook Pages or Facebook Groups? Pages have peoplefrom all walks of life connecting to you via a single Page. Now let’s assume [or maybe you have already experienced] a situation wherein your Facebook Pages has your movie. Say for example if your Page philosophy / intent / purpose / reach is broad based and people who have joined your Page get very involved. There could be different teams / groups getting formed due to mutually agreeing / disagreeing on a particular topic. You may now see that there is a reason to bifurcate into smaller groups. The reason being that certain people are addressing a particular issue. For this you need not create another Fan Page what you need now is to create small Facebook Groups.
So you need to create Facebook Groups strategically. Such that while you have your main Facebook Page as umbrella, the various Facebook Groups could be created to address more in-depth conversations / issues that pertain to your film.
I work as Freelance Social Media Network Online Professional. My Business Page is on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pervarakapadia Do join me.